Serial is investigative journalism, nonfiction story podcast hosted by Sarah Koenig over multiple episodes.
With a total of 174 million downloads, the podcast episodes made an ongoing world record.
On similar lines, The music app Saavn launched an original programming network in April 2016 covering the Aarushi murder case.
While podcasting in India is a very nascent stage despite a large number of bloggers, podcast listenership continues to grow at a very impressive rate every year.
40% of Americans aged above 12+ say they have listened to a podcast in 2017. 24% of them say they have listened to one in the past month.
What is a Podcast?
A podcast or generically netcast is a series of episodes of audio or video files which a user can listen and also can download to his computer, laptop, mobile devices or a portable media player like iPod.
These podcasts are generally available for subscription so that new episodes are automatically downloaded in the system of the user.
It is, in other words, a radio show without inconstant chatter and without the disturbance of loud advertisements with well thought out and researched content and insightful analysis.
And because of these advantages, it’s drawing a huge number of audiences, globally.
While India is still far behind in the trend, it does have a few good shows such as:
- The Bollywood Project- The podcast discusses the latest trends in Bollywood, review movies, and gossips around Bollywood celebs.
- The Passion People Podcast- It features interviews of people who followed their passion this gives inspiration to the listeners.
- The Musafir Stories — India- Documents India’s travel tale. Each episode covers the journey, stories, and experiences which are shared with the listeners.
- Ek Kahani Aisi Bhi- Horror stories!
- Our last week- Stand-up comedian Anuvab Pal and actor-comedian Kunaal Roy Kapur talk about everything under the sun which is hilarious yet informative
- The Real Food Podcast- By food writer Vikram Doctor series is on food, its origins, its evolution, the meaning of ingredients and imaginative recipes
- Audiogyan- Conversations about art, philosophy, and design.
As you can see there is a wide variety of podcast by Indians and NRIs with different themes you can listen to India.
Why start a Podcast?
Podcasts have been around for a long time but still, most people still haven’t figured out how to listen to them yet.
This gives the perfect opportunity to start podcasting and promote it via different social media platforms. India is still an unexplored territory as far as podcasting is concerned.
If you understand the importance of good content creation like an active blog site, youtube channel or facebook and Instagram page, you’ll understand the value of podcasts.
Podcasts also have the potential to drive traffic back to your website or store, at the end or between of your podcast you can direct listeners to your website.
Making cash during podcasting is also fairly easy because Podcasts command the captive attention of their audiences like few other media.
An endorsement coming from the mouth of a trusted podcast host feels intimate and authentic.
Also, it is much harder to click to another screen or channel while you are listening.
The CPM rate, or the cost per one thousand ad impressions, of a podcast, is much higher than other forms of media.
If You’re A Marketer here are some reasons to start a Podcast:
- You Can Create Timeless Content- Podcasts have a long and indefinite shelf life
- You Can Sway Your Consumers Decisions
- Podcasts are adaptable content
Advantages of the Podcast over Blogging:
- Podcast listeners become way more engaged, connected, and loyal than blog readers.
- You can’t watch or read while driving, gymming, running, shopping etc but you can listen.
- Podcasting isn’t going anywhere but up.
- If you are not very good at writing your thoughts podcasting gives you a platform to express your thoughts to the world.
- it’s a more “real” and “sincere” form of communication.
How to start a Podcast?
To start a podcast you need to follow some steps –
Choose a niche
It can be anything you have the knowledge and you are passionate enough to talk.
As I have given examples above about Indian podcasts, which are from diverse fields you can also choose your niche in any field.
Choose a style and a concept
Some styles include one on one discussion, interviews, storytelling etc.
And a concept such as a topic, name, format and target length for each episode.
Design and artwork and describe the brand of your podcast
Artwork must include- Name, categories and sub-categories, guest name if any, description date and time.
Preparation is the most imp part because your content is everything in podcasting and ill-prepared content will not help you in any way
Write down one or two pages of a short, concise list of contents and questions for your guest.
Try ordering contents and questions in such a way that form a narrative.
Most basic 3 things required
- Audio recording software
- Call recording software
- Editing tools (for example- Audacity or Fiverr editor)
Where to put the podcast?
There are many free podcasts hosting companies like
And many more…
Podcasting is an untapped opportunity in India and its time bloggers move on to podcasting and create an audience to tap the hidden potential of our countries large techno-savvy population.
The podcast could prove to be a powerful tool to change perception, guide, educate and empower our countries youth.
I’m a freelance writer with an eclectic range of interests: Photography, space, politics, music, art, fashion, and sports.
I enjoy turning complex problems into simple, beautiful and intuitive solutions. When I’m not reading books, tweeting or sleeping for long hours, you’ll find me cooking, wandering or working out.