Digital Marketing! Sounds like a fancy word for traditional marketing right? Or it’s a real deal!
Digital marketing does include conventional marketing techniques but it is more than that. So what is digital marketing?
To understand this first we have to understand what really is marketing.
What is Marketing?
Marketing refers to the activities of a company associated with buying and selling a product or service.
To reach it up to end user a channel is created. On the last rung, salesmen sell it. In between there is much activity to boost the sell, they all come under the purview of marketing.
It includes Advertising, customer relations, getting feedback and product development, educating marketing personnel, focusing on the unique selling proposition and delivering products to people.
Marketing managers try to get the attention of target audiences using packaging design, slogans, catchy taglines, general media exposure and also celebrity endorsements.
What is Digital Marketing then?
Digital marketing is any form of marketing products or services that involve digital medium.
Its done by:
- Mobile devices
- Search engines
- Social media
- Display advertising
- Other channels
to reach consumers.
A subset of traditional marketing, digital marketing goes beyond the internet to include:
- electronic or interactive billboards
- banner ads
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Short Message Service (SMS)
- Simple Notification Service (SNS),
to promote products and services.
First popularized as a term in the early 1990’s, digital marketing has actually been around much longer. In fact, the development of digital marketing is inseparable from technology development.
In the early 2000s, with growing internet users and the birth of iPhone customers started searching online about the products and started making decisions about there needs online first before consulting a salesperson.
This created a new problem for the marketing department of a company. Now customers can search for other brands and get better deals with their rival brands by searching online.
These problems made marketeers digitalize market development which is still continuing on a larger scale.
Why Digital Marketing matters in India?
The Government of India is pushing for Digital India.
One of the most aspiring projects of our Prime Minister Narendra Modi aiming for improved online infrastructure and an increase in Internet connectivity
Also making the country digitally empowered in the field of technology to bridge the digital divide.
It’s been observed that,
Indians residing in cities are now spending less than half the time reading newspapers and watching television as compared to 3-4 years ago and spending more time on social media.
The digital revolution in India is driven by 4G, which reduced data costs considerably and an increase in smartphone penetration
Also, increased time spent on digital mediums set the stage for enormous growth in digital advertising against traditional media.
Creating new opportunities for marketers to reach out to untapped audiences in more creative ways.
METHODS OF DIGITAL MARKETING
Now, coming to our main question-
WHY IS DIGITAL MARKETING THE NEXT BIG THING IN INDIA?
Let’s look at some stats.
- India has taken over the USA as a 2nd largest internet user base in the world.
- As per TRAI estimates, the Internet population in the country will be close to 740 million by 2020, from the current 430 million (300 million urban, 129 million rural subscribers).
- India is clearly becoming mobile-first internet economy and spends on mobile are expected to grow at a CAGR of 49% to overtake spends on desktops and reach a share of 60% by 2020
- Average time people spend on the internet through any device is more than 4 hours and average time users spend on social media is more than 2 hours.
- India ranked 67th in the world in February 2018 for download speed over fixed broadband based on the Speedtest Global Index, with an average speed of 20.72 Mbps.
- Despite these slow speeds, internet users in India spend almost 5 hours on the net every day, with 40% of that time spent on social media.
- 30 million people in India access Facebook through a feature phone and 66 million via smartphone out of which 91% access via Android handsets
- Digital advertising to grow at 32% CAGR to reach Rs 12,046 crore by Dec 2018 and Rs 19,000 crore by 2020
- social media currently takes the lion’s share of ad spends at 28%Search and Display constitute 26% and 21% of the pie, respectively, while Video has a 19%
Top 5 Reasons for a Rewarding Digital Marketing Career in India:
- Currently, it’s in Demand Profession
- Good Salary Package (ref. pic. given below)
- Freelance Work Opportunities (work from home)
- Become an Entrepreneur / Full Time Blogger
- Earn Money through Affiliate Marketing
HOW TO LEARN DIGITAL MARKETING OR TAKE LEVERAGE OF IT IN YOUR BUSINESS?
There are no degree courses in digital marketing. You can learn and become a digital marketing expert without learning through any digital marketing course and training programs.
But, there some advantages to joining a training program like proper learning structure, guidance, opportunity to know and grow a network with like-minded people.
- Some essential requisite skills expected from a digital marketer:
- CORE SKILLS
- Analytical ability
- Good command over the English language
- Content writing
- Communication or interpersonal skills
- Sales skills
- Ability to think objectively
- Good copy and visual storytelling abilities
- OPTIONAL SKILLS
- UI designing
- Core Marketing
I have also listed some institutes for learning digital marketing (not in any particular order):
- Digital Vidya
- Digital Academy India
- UpGrad’s Digital Marketing Program
- NIIT Digital Marketing
- Manipal Global Education Services
Ways Entrepreneurs Can Leverage Digital Marketing
- Connecting Directly to Decision Makers
- Analyzing Competition
- Engaging Your Audience
- Cross-Platform Retargeting
The key takeaway from the above information is that though traditional or conventional marketing still works today with success no one can afford to miss out marketing opportunities of web and eventually every marketer have to master digital marketing skills because it’s the skill for now and future.
Also, digital marketing is much more than facebook and google ads and social media promotions
Hope this expanded your view on digital marketing.
Comment if I missed anything!
Let me know your takeaways in the comments section.
Share if you like it 🙂
I’m a freelance writer with an eclectic range of interests: Photography, space, politics, music, art, fashion, and sports.
I enjoy turning complex problems into simple, beautiful and intuitive solutions. When I’m not reading books, tweeting or sleeping for long hours, you’ll find me cooking, wandering or working out.